Sometimes life’s changes are so small that we never notice how far we have come. We feel like all our efforts are for nothing because we don’t see the difference from one day to the next. We tend to be people who want instant results, and obvious results, but that’s not how life works most of the time.
Take for instance, the banner image of this post. How many of you noticed that the image changed each week, gradually moving from a dark, dreary image to the bright one at the top of this page?
This is just one small example of how minor changes, small steps, go unnoticed, but over time add up to making a huge difference. When comparing the trees from one week to another, the shift was minor, but when you compare the far left image with the far right image you see how dramatic the change has been.
In the same way, as you committed to participate daily in the Quarantined Challenge, I’m doubtful you noticed any change from day to day in how you were growing in your faith or becoming more like Jesus. But over the course of the month, have you noticed any change in yourself? Have you developed the important habit of making time for Jesus? Have you been stretched to think in new and different ways about God’s work in this world? And if you continue to do this, day after day, month after month, I guarantee you will see noticeable growth in your Christian maturity.
So that is our challenge to you now. As we have finished our 30 day journey, you are now at a new starting line – the month of June. Where will you go from here? How will you continue to take small steps that add up to make a big difference?
We live in a day when there are countless sources of reading plans and content. If you don’t have a reading plan or any devotional content you know you like, perhaps you can try one of these options:
- The Bible App – this app for your Android device or iPhone/iPad is full of Bible reading and devotional plans that you can choose from.
- Rick Warren’s Daily Devotional – this daily devotional written by Rick Warren of Saddleback Church is very popular and inspiring. Plus you can have it delivered straight to your email inbox.
- She Reads Truth – this is a popular daily devotional written for women which is popular with several women in our church. This can also be emailed to you daily.
- Poor Bishop Hooper – this is a Christian band who write content straight out of scripture. If you really connected with the Worship Wednesday songs, you might enjoy signing up to receive an email each week with a new song they wrote from the Psalms.
- Ashworth at Home – join a family or two from the church and worship together and then discuss the message using the discussion questions provided each week during our New Normal series.